Sunday, December 23, 2012

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas..."

"I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas, only a hippopotamus will do..."

What am I talking about? Many of you may be familiar with this old Christmas song. Honestly I was quite old before I first heard it.

This song has a deeper meaning for me as an adult, it's a dream for Christmas. A large, seemingly, unattainable Christmas gift. A gift that can neither fit under the tree nor be wrapped. It cannot be bought at a store. It's an intangible.

This year I have many intangibles for Christmas, not for myself but for so many others in my life. They need a Christmas miracle. They need Santa to deliver a hippopotamus through the front door. Health, financial security, a home...beyond the esoteric wishes for world peace, there are so many in my life who need inner peace. A peace that comes from being secure in where you are, of not having to question at every turn what tomorrow may bring. From where will we get the next meal? Will we have a place to call home? How will I provide for those I love...for myself?

Yes, I too need a hippopotamus but I want so much for the others in my life to get their hippopotamuses. If they received this gift I would benefit in my not feeling the need to worry so about each of them.

Christmas is going to be meager around these parts but there's always someone worse off than yourself. The problem is I know so many worse off to whom I am closely tied.

I wish for each of you your own hippopotamus, whatever that may be.

Merry Christmas and may we all have a prosperous, and healthy, new year.

I love this video of the song, Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment